| Home | About | Author | Contact | Past Layouts | Map |
 

[REVIEW]Earl and Fairy

Sunday, March 08, 2009


Hakushaku to Yōsei



Alternative title:
Count and Fairy
Earl and Fairy
伯爵と妖精 (Japanese)
Genres: adventure, magic, romance
Themes: Historical
Plot Summary: The story is set in 19th century England and centers on a "fairy doctor" named Lydia. Her life takes a 180-degrees turn when she meets a legendary blue knight count named Edgar and his crew. He hires her as an adviser during his quest to obtain a treasured sword that was supposed to be handed down to him by his family.
Number of episodes: 12
Opening Theme:
"FEELING" by AciD FLavoR
Ending Theme:
"FEELING" by AciD FLavoR (ep 12)
"my fairy" by Hikaru Midorikawa

(info from Anime News Network)

Review

Earl and Fairy is by far the first anime I've watched. (though I could say one of the few animes that I finished watching w/o missing any episodes. >.>) The very first episode gives one an impression that this is another cheesy romance anime. I mean, the setting clearly descibed it, it's about an Earl, a fairy doctor, set in old England. Ring a bell?

Well, at least that was how I saw it at first, though I still watched on. I have to say, I definitely have a thing for fantasies and historical romances. So naturally, as I realized that this anime is both of them, the interset rate in this anime just grew exponentially.

Since I never read any of the light novels, the plot twist seemed quite appealing to me. The earl's mysterious past is definitely a plus in this series. And each episode's ending is always pretty nice, with excellent cliffs if I remember correctly. (even though I hate cliffs, I still tsay that they handled them at the perfect timing, which is quite admirable. =P) Another thing is that this series develops romance, but it leaves its depth at a certain point, which I thought it was quite unnecessary at one point but quite clever at this point. After all, we rarely see some series that doesn't have all the cheesy moments between the heroine and the "prince charming"... *cough*Fushigi Yugi*cough*

As for the character developments, I remember watching the opening of the series and was like "dude! that main guy totally looks like Tamaki from Ouran!" I would still agree with that statement to some extend. Edgar and Lydia are interesting main characters. They each has their stereotypical personalities for a hero and heroine. But they're unique in some way that it makes this anime quite amusing. I would say that I was quite amused with the relationship between Edgar and Lydia, their interactions are not what you would expect. So those surprises always keep me interested in new episodes. ^_^

Of course, I couldn't forget the minor characters. Frankly, I think this anime has the right amount of side characters, no more, no less. Oh, did I mention that yes, this anime does in fact has a pet-like thingie that's a companion for the heroine? -_-; Well, Nico is quite a humorous charater though, excellent comic relief! ^_^; And then we also get the stoic characters too, well, I'll not go in extend about that.

The music of this anime isn't that bad. I wouldn't say that they are absolutely excellent like Bleach's, (Well, Bleach's producers sure had excellent tastes in music...) but they're not bad either. As for the animation, I don't really have much to say about it since I rarely watch anime anyways and am fine with however the characters are drawn. ^^'''

12 episodes sounded a bit short for this anime, but then again, I think the producers used the episodes quite well. The plot moved on seamlessly, no fillers at all. *cough*Bleach*cough* So it's a really quick anime to watch, and it keeps watchers entertained. ^_^

Overall, I would say high recommended if you're into historical and fantasy kind of anime. ^_^

This place has the anime epsidoes:HERE


--------------------------------
Location: house
Mood: sick
Song: Friends - this Chinese artist...

Labels: , ,



This post was written by Mel-Lyn on Sunday, March 08, 2009 at 4:14:00 PM |

Comments

4 Comments:


Hee, hee! I like this a lot, i think i will read this manga and watch the anime
I feel you about the fushigiyugi
that was icky not to mention the nudity and everybody after the heroine.....which is typical like Ouran....
Thanks!!!

The plot sounds interesting, but do they get together and marry? o.O

^_^ I dont remember if it has a manga or not, but it's a light novel series first...
*sigh*
I should have never read Fushigi Yugi or watched it...

No prob... sorry it took so long, I was so unproductive these days... as u know... =_=

haha, not telling... but it's a rather interesting ending, and I heard that there is a second season. ^^

p.s. if u need me do more, I'd be happy to... since it kinda increases my productiveness... >.<

hey, sorry i took so long to reply
theres no need to apologize, i fail way more than you do :P
thanks, i took the jems off though, i kept having to be so carefull with my phone and i just gave up lol
xxx

lol, no prob... life sure is busy ^^'

it does look kinda hard to manage the phone while keeping all the jems in their places, lol

(Leave a New Comment)